ACPC Marcella Kochańska Sembrich
Vocal Competition 2016
The $2,000 prize is given to support the career development of a young singer of Polish descent. Marcella Kochańska Sembrich (1858-1935) was a Polish coloratura soprano with a long career at the Metropolitan Opera in New York, after which she taught at Curtis Institute and Julliard School of Music.
Application deadline: April 15, 2016
Application fee: None
1. Contestant must be of Polish descent, a United States citizen or a permanent resident, and not under professional management.
2. The competition is open to men or women up to the age of 35, who are pursuing higher education in voice, or in early stages of their vocal career.
1. Each contestant must submit a completed application form with required enclosures.
2. Each contestant must submit six (6) copies of a DVD or CD recording of his/her singing with accompaniment.
3. The recording should be approximately 30 minutes, and consist of arias and art songs, including selections in several languages including Polish. The DVD/CD must be labeled with the applicant's name and the selections performed.
4. Sketch of family tree demonstrating Polish heritage.
5. The winner must be available to perform a full recital at the 2016 national convention of the American Council of Polish Culture (ACPC) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, at a date TBD in August of 2016. The recital must include several Polish arias or art songs.
6. The ACPC will provide for the winner two (2) night's accommodation and reasonable travel expenses.
7. Applications with enclosures must be received by April 15, 2016.
The Judges will include:
Edyta Kulczak, a Polish-born mezzo-soprano, is a resident performer at the Metropolitan Opera, with a very prolific repertoire in many operas. She received her Master of Music degree in Vocal Performance from the Chopin University of Music in Warsaw, and an Artist Diploma from Northwestern University School of Music under Elizabeth Fischer. Ms. Kulczak studied under the famous Mignon Dunn, Carlo Bergonzi and Marilyn Horne. Ms. Kulczak has earned many international awards and enjoys a very prolific career in the US and abroad. www.edytakulczak.com
Magdalena Wór, a Polish born mezzo-soprano, is a winner, finalist and recipient of many prestigious national and international competitions and awards, such as the Marcello Giordani and Moniuszko International Vocal Competitions, and Marcella Kochanska Sembrich Vocal Competition. Ms. Wór is an alumna of Washington National Opera's Domingo-Cafritz and San Francisco Opera's Merola Opera Programs. Over the last several seasons Ms. Wór has worked with The Metropolitan Opera, the National Symphony Orchestra and the National Philharmonic in Washington, DC, the Washington National Opera, Virginia Opera, Baltic Opera, Atlanta Opera, Palm Beach Opera, among others. www.mezzomagdalenawor.com
Send application and enclosures to:
Dr. Wanda O'Brien-Trefil, Chair
Marcella Kochańska Sembrich Vocal Competition
9413 Old Reserve Way
Fairfax, VA 22031
Additional information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Form: Poster for 2016 Sembrich Competition:
Report on 2015 Sembrich Award: Program from 2015 Performance:
Report on 2014 Sembrich Award: Program from 2014 Performance: