OLD -- DO NOT USE
The $2,000 prize is given to support the career development of a young singer of Polish descent. Marcella Kochańska Sembrich (1858-1935) was a Polish coloratura soprano with a long career at the Metropolitan Opera in New York, after which she taught at Curtis Institute and Julliard School of Music.
Application deadline: April 15, 2014
Application fee: None
1. Contestant must be of Polish descent, a United States citizen or a permanent resident, and not under professional management.
2. The competition is open to men or women up to the age of 35, who are pursuing higher education in voice, or in early stages of their vocal career.
1. Each contestant must submit a completed application form with required enclosures.
2. Each contestant must submit four (4) copies of a DVD or CD recording of his/her singing with accompaniment.
3. The recording should be approximately 30 minutes, and consist of arias and art songs, including selections in several languages including Polish. The DVD/CD must be labeled with the applicant's name and the selections performed.
4. Sketch of family tree demonstrating Polish heritage.
5. The winner must be available to perform a full recital at the 2014 national convention of the American Council of Polish Culture (ACPC) in Buffalo, New York, at a date TBD in July/August of 2014. The recital must include several Polish arias or art songs.
6. The ACPC will provide for the winner two (2) night's accommodation and reasonable travel expenses.
7. Applications with enclosures must be received by April 15, 2014.
8. Consideration will be given to applicants who include selections from the roles performed by Marcella Kochańska Sembrich (female voices), and the roles of her partners (male voices).
Edyta Kulczak will be among the judges. For the past 10 years, this Polish-born mezzo-soprano has been a frequent guest at the Metropolitan Opera, with a very prolific repertoire in many operas. She received her Master of Music degree in Vocal Performance from the Chopin University of Music in Warsaw, and an Artist Diploma from Northwestern University School of Music under Elizabeth Fischer. Edyta studied under the famous Mignon Dunn, Carlo Bergonzi and Marilyn Horne. Edyta has earned many international awards and enjoys a very prolific career in the US and abroad. www.edytakulczak.com
Send application and enclosures to:
Dr. Wanda O'Brien-Trefil, Chair
Marcella Kochańska Sembrich Vocal Competition
9413 Old Reserve Way
Fairfax, VA 22031
Additional information: email@example.com
Application Form: Poster: Report on 2013 Sembrich Award: