Poster by: Walter Piesiecki
Chopin Concert 2015by: Jean Joka
On Sunday, March 1, 2015, the annual Chopin Concert of the Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia was held at Holy Family University Technology and Education Center located in Philadelphia. How fitting that this concert be held on the actual birthday of Frederik Chopin, (March 1, 1810).
However, it was a snowy and icy Sunday. The concert was to begin at 2:00 pm; but with the weather conditions it was delayed to 2:30 pm. By that time many people assembled in the concert hall to hear Katarzyna Musial. A delight when she appeared and started to play. You forgot about the weather outside. She was magnificent.
Prior to Katarzyna taking the helm at the piano, Marie Hejnosz, President of the Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia welcomed everyone and spoke briefly about the organization and its mission. Marie introduced Deborah Majka, concert chair and Honorary Consul of Poland for Southeastern Pennsylvania, who briefly spoke about Katarzyna and introduced Janusz Sporek, Director of the Marcella Sembrich Women's Choir. Mr. Sporek was born in the same town in Poland as Katarzyna. He provided a wide range of information about Katarzyna, her musical journey and accomplishments.
When Katarzyna, started to play, she exploded with much gesture and such interpretations of music by Witold Lutoslawski; Zgymunnt Stojowski, and many more. She also has a CD - Come Dance With Me, in which the pianist hands pay tribute to the dancer's feet.
After the concert a reception was held, and members of the audience were treated to a variety of Polish delicacies.
Even though the weather was snowy, icy and not good for traveling, the Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia once again excelled with a wonderful and exceptional concert.
Photographs by: Andrzej Pustelniak
1. (PHSP Board, l. to r.) Richard Janaszek (membership secretary), Debbie M. Majka (treasurer), Walter Wojcik, Teresa N. Wojcik (recording secretary), Katarzyna Musial (pianist), Jean Joka (publicity director), Marie Hejnosz (president), Krystyna Cimoch, Peter J. Obst, Joseph Zazyczny
2. (l. to r.) Marie Hejnosz with pianist Katarzyna Musial
3. (l. to r.) pianist Katarzyna Musial with Teresa Wojcik
4. (l. to r.) Debbie Majka with pianist Katarzyna Musial
5. pianist Katarzyna Musial
6. (l. to r.) Marie Hejnosz, Janusz Sporek, __________, __________, Anna Kwasniewska
7. Flowers by Anna Kwasniewska, Secret of Flowers Floral Art Studio; Chopin bust donated by Wanda Dezwol