ACPC Washington Spring Board Meeting 2016
(l. to r.) Peter Obst (at podium), Robert Synakowski - vice president, Tom Payne - president, Judi Tompkins - treasurer
The Spring Board Meeting, March 11-12, was hosted by Polish American Arts Association of Washington DC.
Raymond and Cecilia Glembocki reported about the National Conference for the Social Studies (NCSS). Nov. 13-15 in New Orleans, LA. A full report with pictures is now posted on the ACPC website. (see report) They also spoke about preparations in progress for the next National Conference for the NCSS to take place in Washington DC over Dec. 2-3, 2016.
Cecilia presented the book Poland: A Portrait of the Country Through its Festivals and Traditions that was created in partnership with the Polish American Arts Association (PAAA) of Washington, DC. It's first printing was 1,000 copies. The book is in color with illustrations by Carla Tomaszewski, 32 pages, available from PAAA for a donation of $10.
Another book was presented by Barbara Lemecha Those Who Risked Their Lives by Anna Poray about individuals who helped Jews survive through World War II in Poland. It records the name and experiences of many of these remarkable individuals. This important book is available for purchase at the Polish American Congress Michigan Division office.
Peter Obst reported on the status of the ACPC website which is always ready to accept news about the organization for dissemination through the internet. It works in conjunction with the facebook page which now has an events calendar that is maintained by Robert Synakowski. Details are posted under the NEWS heading.
It was announced that the Autumn Board meeting will take place on October 21-22 2016, at the Hilton Garden Inn, Glastonbury, CT. The hosts, the Polish Cultural Club of Greater Hartford, will be celebrating their 40th anniversary on Saturday, Oct. 22 with a gala event. (see information)
Also mentioned was the $5,000 grant from Judge Pucinski for research on the Jamestown strike of 1619. Details are posted on the website: http://jamestownpoloniaresearch.com
After the business part of the meeting was concluded many of the participants went for a tour of the Saint John Paul II National Shrine and heard mass in the beautiful mosaic decorated church-space. Later there was a concert at the Polish Embassy given by pianist Jaroslaw Golembiowski and violinist Krzysztof Zimowski. The audience very much enjoyed Mr. Zimowski's spirited interpretation of the music. Thanks for organizing the event go to Co-chairs Ted Mirecki and Wanda O'Brien-Trefil. It was a very enjoyable event and members from across the ACPC much appreciated the efforts of the Polish American Arts Association.
We are looking forward to seeing you at our ACPC Convention in Pittsburgh ! (Aug. 10-13, 2016 - see information)
Photographs by Jackie Kolowski
1. General meeting, (first row) Cecilia Larkin, Ray and Cecilia Glembocki
2. General meeting, (first row) Debbie Majka, Mary Ellen Tyszka
(second row) Robert and Mary Flanagan
3. (l. to r.) Raymond and Cecilia Glembocki present on the posters
distributed at the NCSS Conference
4. (l. to r.) Barbara Lemecha (at podium) and Robert Synakowski
5. Barbara Lemecha presents the book "Those Who Risked their Lives"
about Poles who saved Jews during WWII
6. Cecilia Glembocki with the "Poland: A Portrait of the Country Through its Festivals and Traditions" book
7. At the Millennium Doors in the John Paul II Center
8. The splendid mosaics at the church in the John Paul II Center
9. (l. to r.) Piotr Konowrocki - Head of Consular Section, Jackie Kolowski, violinist Krzysztof Zimowski
10. (l. to r.) pianist Jaroslaw Golembiowski, Tom Payne, violinist Krzysztof Zimowski
11. pianist Jaroslaw Golembiowski and violinist Krzysztof Zimowski
12. pianist Jaroslaw Golembiowski and violinist Krzysztof Zimowski
13. audience at the Polish Embassy, (front row) Cecilia and Ray Glembocki
14. audience at the Polish Embassy, (r. to l.) Marion Winters, Wanda O'Brien-Trefil
15. (l. to r.) Peter Obst, Marion Winters, Barbara Lemecha, Jo Louise Winters
16. (l. to r.) Barbara Lemecha, Jaroslaw Golembiowski, Ula Zimowski (Krzysztof's wife), Maria Staszkiewicz and Terri Barger.
17. (l. to r.) Dr. Wanda O'Brien-Trefil, Dr. Jaroslaw Golembiowski, Urszula and Krzysztof Zimowski, Ewa Pietrasinska - Consular Division, Dr. James Trefil
18. (l. to r.) Dr. Wanda O'Brien Trefil, Henrietta Nowakowski, Barbara Lemecha, Piotr Konowrocki - Head of Consular Section, Dr. James Trefil with the artists: Krzysztof Zimowski and Dr. Jaroslaw Golembiowski