American Council for Polish CulturePhiladelphia PA - March 10-11-12, 2017
Spring Board Meeting 2017
Hosted by: Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia (PHSP)
(l. to r.) Judi Tompkins, Robert Synakowski, Tom Payne, Marcia Lewandowski, with Debbie Majka giving a report
Spring 2017 Board Meeting ReportThe ACPC Board met at the Sheraton Hotel in NE Philadelphia (March 10-11). The initial meeting on Friday was at the Vistula Lounge of the Associated Polish Home and ended with a reception. Among the subjects discussed was the annual Convention scheduled to take place in Toronto, Canada, August 9-12. The award recipients are:
Founders Award - Florence Langridge
Cultural Achievement Award - Jaroslaw Golembiowski
Distinguished Service Award - Anthony Bajdek
The Autumn Board meeting will be in Savannah, GA. It will begin on Saturday Oct. 7, with attendees staying through Monday Oct. 9 to attend dedication ceremonies at the site of the Battle of Savannah where a stone tablet will be unveiled in memory of Casimir Pulaski. This tablet is a gift of Mr. Ray Okonski working with Friends of Polish Art in Detroit, Michigan. Ceremonies will be under the auspices of the Savannah General Pulaski Committee and the Georgia Coastal Heritage Society. This new tablet will join one sponsored by the ACPC some years ago to memorialize Polish participation in the battle. Watch for details posted on the ACPC website and facebook pages.
Among the reports was one given by Cecile and Raymond Glembocki on ACPC participation in the next National Conference for the Social Studies (NCSS) to take place over November 17-18 in San Francisco. Another matter under discussion was that of the Polish Paintings hanging on the walls in the library of Le Moyne College in Syracuse, NY. The board voted to support the Polish government's efforts to have these interesting historical painting returned to Poland. The seven paintings were on display at the 1939-40 World's Fair in New York and never returned to Poland because of WWII.
After the meeting concluded on Saturday, attendees returned to the Associated Polish Home for a delicious Polish style dinner. Entertainment was provided by the Polish American String Band, some of whose members "dropped in" dressed in their splendid New Year's finery from Philadelphia's Annual Mummers Parade. Later, Marika Szczepek performed operatic and popular songs for the group.
Some board members remained in Philadelphia for the annual Chopin Concert on Sunday, March 12. The pianist was Eric Lu, a very talented student at the Curtis Institute of Music. Eric was the 4th place winner of the Annual Fryderyk Chopin Competition in Warsaw 2015. He played with great feeling and emotional engagement in the music. It seemed he was channeling the essential spirit of Chopin. Those who frequented the concert over the years agreed that his was one of the very best performances they have had a privilege to hear.
Photographs by Peter Obst
1. (l. to r.) Edwarda Buda Okreglak, Marie Hejnosz, Barbara Lemecha, Jaroslaw Golembiowski, Bozena Buda, Mary Elen Tyszka
2. (l. to r.) Marcia Lewandwski, Richard Wiermanski, Dave Motak
3. (l. to r.) Cecilia and Richard Larkin, Jaroslaw Golembiowski, Marie Hejnosz
4. (l. to r.) Krystyna and Leo Cimoch, Rich and Helen Riker
5. (l. to r.) Tom Payne, Irene Musman, Carolyn Meleski, Judi Tompkins
6. Debbie tends Bar in the "Vistula Lounge" at the Associated Polish Home, Tom Payne scores a bottle of "Lech" as Dave Motak looks on
7. (l. to r.) Debbie Majka, Stephen Medvec, Elizabeth "Liz" Whitman
8. Everyone wants a picture of the Polish American String Band!
9. Polish American String Band performs in their New Year's fancy dress from the Mummers Parade
10. (l. to r.) Mat and Carolyn Meleski, Dave Motak, John Wisniewski, Debbie Majka, Tom Payne
11. Group Picture with the Polish American String Band in their Mummer finery
12. An even larger Group Picture with the Polish American String Band
13. Marika Szczepek performs operatic and popular songs for the group
14. Debbie Majka presents a picture of the "Zelazowa Wola"
home of the Chopin family to Eric Lu
15. Jaroslaw Golembiowski, Debbie Majka, Eric Lu
16. Group Picture - The Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia Board and friends (photo by Celia Larkin)